How to Handle Objections Using Listening SkillsAlen Mayer
January 24, 2012 — 897 views
As a sale representative there are occasions when you will face opposition from a prospective client. This article will provide you with some specific tools and guidelines to use when you are faced with the dilemma of how to handle objections.
To begin with, concerns from customers are a part of sales, and it is vital to you as a sales personto know how to handle objections as they come up. Common objections include:
- "I can't afford it."
- "I already have one."
- "My partner/boss isn't interested."
- "It doesn't have the features I'm seeking."
- "I need to think about it."
The following tools will help you as a sales representative in nearly any objection scenario:
1. Keep your emotions in check. Don't become angry or argumentative. Your initial reaction might be one of defensiveness. Instead take a moment to catch your breath and think about what the customer is saying to you.
2. Actively listen to your customer. Active listening involves direct eye contact, open body language, and your complete attention.
3. Repeat the customers concerns back to him/her. "So, what I'm hearing is that the only reason you don't want to buy is because of the cost?" Use of this technique will help to clarify the customers concerns and on some occasions make any underlying concerns come to the surface so that you can address those.
4. Once you feel confident that you know the real objection allow the person to elaborate on it. Nod your head, repeat their concern, and be understanding. "So, if I could lower the cost to X you would buy?"
5. Now that you understand it, respond to the objection. You may not be in a position to lower the cost. Go back to the value of your product. "Yes, the price on this is rather high, but in comparison to other models it has… which will benefit you in this way."
6. Make sure the customer has a clear grasp on your product and the value it can bring to his company. And then you can go in for the close. "Now that you see how the benefits outweigh the costs, we can go ahead. Shall I get the paperwork started?"
The ability to know how to handle objections is essential for success as a sales person. Learn these techniques and your success rate will go up.
n Majer is fiercely committed to guiding Entrepreneurs and Sales Professionals to improve their sales knowledge and skills so they can achieve extraordinary sales results, close more sales effectively, and learn more to earn more. If you are looking for a proven Sales Expert who will show you new ways of getting more clients in less time, how to book more appointments by fighting phone resistance, and learn new ways of handling excuses and objections to excel in sales, you've come to the right place. With 20 years in sales and 10 years of experience working with amazing clients with similar worries and concerns and guiding them to achieve remarkable success, my mission and commitment is to help sales people achieve their goals faster than they would without my guidance. I am living proof that you don't need to be a natural-born salesperson to be successful in sales. What lights me up about this work and what sets me apart from other service providers is that I believe that sales is a process and that process can be taught. You always need training. A great salesperson is always trying to make him or herself better.