Top 5 Tricks to Selling in a Down EconomySales Pro Source
October 10, 2012 — 981 views
Top 5 Tricks to Selling in a Down Economy
Though some businesspeople bemoan the state of the economy, others see opportunities. To increase sales even when the economy is down, businesspeople need to take some time to evaluate the situation and create new strategies because tricks that worked before may not apply when the economy is on a low. Analyze the strategies that work and the areas that need improvement.
Without sales an investor is not in business. The state of the economy makes staff support and motivation paramount in increasing sales. There are a few tips businesspeople can use to increase sales even with a recession:
1. Mine existing client base. Many investors consider fulfilling an initial sale as the final step in the sales process. Quite the opposite is true. Creating good business relations with current clients may result in more sales and referrals in future. Maintain periodic contact with the current clients at least once a year. Find out if they have any problems with products or services they paid for, offer solutions to any problems that arises and find ways of being useful to them.
2. Provide fresh leads by ramping up advertisement and marketing campaigns. The advertisements should run consistently. Demonstrate how one’s products work or are used at malls and trade fairs, place the products with opinion makers and develop an online presence through social networking and website creation.
3. Provide a personal touch when following up on leads. The best way to follow up on leads is through face-to-face meetings. Create conversations with clients with an aim of creating the need for one’s products and services. Turn down the anxiety of sales staff by helping them realize what they should tell clients to make them want to do business with the company.
4. Identify the highest performing salespeople and note what they are doing that makes them stand out from their colleagues. Make a point of observing the successful ones and write up the techniques they use to succeed. Schedule lunches, seminars and training sessions to provide a platform for the top performers to share their skills on how they make successful sales.
5. Create fresh viewpoints on sales by arranging for outside training. Invite sales trainers from outside the company to train the company staff on how they can make successful sales. Follow up on the training by checking if the sales staff understood what they learned and if they are implementing the techniques taught by meeting with the sales staff, working out problems and setting goals.