Don't Let Your Leads Collect Dust

Sales Pro Source
July 19, 2013 — 1,519 views  
Become a Bronze Member for monthly eNewsletter, articles, and white papers.

Many sales opportunities are lost because they are not followed up on; Almost 40 to 50 percent contribute to this loss. This is a revelation repeatedly found in all best selling books on sales. It is important to take every inbound sales lead seriously. 

Why it is Important to Follow-Up

It is important to follow-up simply because no conversion takes place unless you get back to the prospect and convert them in your first meeting. This is the secret of 8% of the sales persons getting 80% of the business.

Your prospect is a busy person, and unless you catch them, you are not going to get business. One of the ways to catch them is to contact them many times without causing undue intrusion or annoyance. In other words, there is absolutely no alternative to following up your prospect if you are serious about your business. 

It is important to remember that sales are not lost because the prospects are not interested, but they are lost because you are not interested. The reason someone is on your list of prospects is because they have shown interest in your product or service.

Different ways to Successfully Follow-up the Leads

Here are some of the ways to not let your cold lead gather dust. You need to approach your leads in different ways that could be convenient to your lead or prospect and to your business.

Only 2% of your prospects have done some kind of research on the stuff you are selling, while the other 98% are not in a position to commit. The focus of your strategy in approaching them repeatedly should be to build a level of trust so that your efforts result in a successful outcome. 

You should be quick in following up; According to the Harvard Business Research, if you approach your prospects within an hour, you are seven times more likely to have a meaningful conversation. If you can provide complete answers quickly, you are likely to build trust and credibility with increased chances to win the customer. 

If you can continually evaluate, as well as measure your performance and continue to improve upon them, you will definitely increase your success rate. Also, you may follow a ‘no’ strategy, which simply means that if your prospect has said ‘no’ four times, they will say ‘yes’ the fifth time. In other words, you need to persist even with those that said ‘no’.

Dos and Don’ts of Follow-up

While you follow-up your lead, there are certain dos and don’ts that you need to pay attention to. The first thing in developing trust with your prospect is that you do not pester them or approach them until they get annoyed. However, if they have fixed an appointment, do not miss it and be there on time.

If you do not know an answer to a question asked, you should never pretend to know it and give an incorrect answer. It is better to admit your ignorance but tell them that you will get back to them with the right answer.  

Sales Pro Source